Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Why?

It's the first question everyone asks; it's the one I feel the most unable to answer: Why?

Why are you going to Cape Town?

I don't know, really.

I mean, I do, of course, or I wouldn't be going. But do I really know what I expect to find there? No. Of course not, that's why I'm going. Exploration, adventure, life practice. (Not that everyday living isn't life practice, but this is the kind of life practice you'll look back on in the future with that nostalgic heart, remembering the days of youth that somehow slipped away from you.)
I'm a recent college graduate with little to no business experience and a lust for travel that will soon be merely an unfulfilled wish because eventually I'll be mired in work (provided I find reasonable employment at some point in the future) and my family (again, provided I eventually find someone suitable for marriage)  and I'll never have time to go anywhere.
This is the time, they'll tell you. Go. Live your dreams.
I'm not sure that my dreams were ever to end up spending three months in Cape Town, but they certainly are now.
Mike and I leave the United States on August 31st at 12:45AM (yes, AM) and will arrive in Cape Town around noon the next day. From there, we begin our separate assignments. I'll be doing a marketing internship and he'll be doing school sports. Neither of us have any idea what to expect and I rather like it that way.
Both of us expect to find out certain things about ourselves along the way, not only strengthening our sibling relationship but also figuring out what the future might hold for each of us, who are both teetering on the edge of adulthood and independence but who both seem to need a nudge in the right direction.
At the end of this, I'll be more aware of myself and the potential that marketing might hold for a graduate degree and he'll have a sense of accomplishment and self-satisfaction.

Why?

Honestly, I need something crazy on my resume. And by something crazy, I mean anything.
We wanted to get away; we've been talking about going to Africa for years. With nothing but time ahead of us, we decided that now would be the time to take that leap into the unknown and the wonderful.


Why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment