Monday, August 16, 2010

Accommodation and Placement Details Divulged

The placement has been announced: I'll be doing my marketing internship with a company called "Simply Asia." 
This presents a multitude of problems, but equally as much excitement. First up: I keep wanting to call the company Asia SF, which is the name of a restaurant in San Francisco, California that serves asian cuisine while also featuring transgendered performers lip-synching. Secondly: I was rather hoping that my life would wind me away from food, particularly the moderately-paced-although-technically-termed-fast-food-industry.
However, marketing and food might find a way into my life and a place in my heart. I am excited. The shopping for suitable business attire begins tomorrow afternoon.

The sleeping arrangements have also been announced, and those I am slightly trepidatious about. I'm going to be living by myself or with another female volunteer, not Mike. I'm going to be living with a single mother who has two children and three grandchildren. Her name is Priscilla and she's a smoker.
This bothers me. If she smokes in the house (I've sent an email to Projects Abroad to find out if that's the case), then I won't be able to live there. While I am open to different cultures and practices, I find the smell of stale cigarette smoke to be unprofessional and nauseating. Also, I do not want to be in an environment where I am around cigarettes. Simply put, I will be tempted to pick up smoking again and it's just not something I wish to do.

We have two weeks left in the United States. Prescriptions for malaria pills and antibiotics (should we need them) have been written and need to be filled.
Shopping and packing, obviously.
I'm feeling overwhelmed and underprepared, a situation which will hopefully be remedied as the days draw a little nearer.

I'm hoping to pick up a little bit of Afrikaans while I'm down in Cape Town, but am also hoping I don't develop any sort of strange accent. The Chicago-awkward Midwest thing has taken its toll on my ability to communicate effectively (that's a lie, but I do sound like a goon sometimes) so hopefully the speech patterns in Cape Town will help get rid of that and will return me to my wonderful Colorado English.

1 comment:

  1. I hope your accent dies. Haha, that's harsh. I hope it dies peacefully in its sleep.
    I would also complain about living with a smoker. But first a house full of kids. Then again you're used to those I guess.
    Blah blah blah, I miss you.

    ReplyDelete