Friday, August 27, 2010

Countdown, Stress

The days have dwindled from over one hundred down to just four. Not even four real days left, either.
And we stand in the middle of tying up all of the loose ends only to find that there are so many more left that will lie that way, undone and entangled, waiting or not for us to return.
And that's the way every great move is. The belongings left in dark rooms, the emptiness of it all, the attempts to squeeze just one more item into an already overcrowded suitcase.

Shirtspantsunderwearsocksshampoojacketscoatstightsbookscomputerendlessamountsofcordsmedicinemakeupmoneycreditcardspaperspens....
quite frankly, it's overwhelming.

There are all the small things that suddenly seem larger than anything manageable and there are the softest of whispers of things forgotten already lingering in my mind.

At the last minute, my internship was changed due to "unforeseen circumstances." While this means I won't be getting to do corporate work, it was an email that allowed me to take an unexpected deep breath filled with relief. Non-profit. It's nearly social work; the job description mirrors almost exactly (as things that mirror tend to do) a job that I was hoping to volunteer for in Chicago during my last semester of college. I will be helping high school graduates attempt to find jobs through a program called "Fit for Life/Fit for Work." More details to come as they find themselves to my inbox.

As I attempt to fit my last nights of freedom before curfew-infused adventure, I find myself burning the candle at both ends, mixing late nights with earlier mornings and finding myself coming up short. Can it all be done?

Of course it can.

No comments:

Post a Comment