Monday, December 6, 2010

Burning (wo)Man

Consider it a lesson learned. 

I've been thinking back on my experience (as I'm so often prone to doing) and I'm realizing that one lesson I need to learn out of this is: stop burning bridges. 

I wrote a five page (typed) debriefing when I left South Africa detailing my problems with the business project at Projects Abroad South Africa. I agree with everything I said. I re-read that document no fewer than five times (which is a first, considering I hate proofreading my own work). Every statement I made was meant to be effective yet emotionally removed from the situation at hand. It was supposed to reflect my views on South Africa as being positive but my views on the business end of things to have a more pessimistic outlook. 

I don't regret it. 

I wish I would have been able to explain it, though. Because I know that everyone who goes to that program (and many of the other programs under the Projects Abroad umbrella) have problems with it. And I know that not everyone is going to speak up about it. I'm happy that I voiced my concerns. I hope that the UK office chooses to take to heart some of the criticism they're getting (and have been receiving in recent months) and take some action. 

I realize that it's a non-profit organization and there are limits to their spending abilities, but let's just say that 3rd party sources have confirmed that the administrative fees we pay support very luxe lifestyles. And it's a given, but it would be nice if some parts of those salaries could be be put toward the projects "we're" supposedly supporting - something besides free labor. 

(This started out as an apology of sorts but then I realized I don't have anything to apologize for. I love South Africa. I liked the people who worked for Projects Abroad. I hated the way they implemented their programs. Enough said. I won't be asking them for references and I can assure you I won't be getting any. All that's left to do is complete an article and finish editing a small video for micro-financing and then all will be well in the world. They'll carry on and so will I.) 



No comments:

Post a Comment