Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The climb, the painting and the new assignment

I've gone in and spoken with the Projects Abroad people and I am now officially a member of the Journalism Project here. They publish a small magazine called the "Cape Chameleon."
I started this afternoon. I've been assigned a story about building with sandbags and will be starting that while I also get the video filmed and edited (Thursday). Tomorrow will be all prep work for those and the beginning of the contact process.
I'm already turning through subjects in my mind - perhaps this will be something workable and I will find myself to be useful and productive.
I'm thrilled beyond belief - it's as though a huge weight has been removed from my shoulders.
I've got to take the train every morning now instead of being picked up be Desiree in the mini bus, so I'm obviously sad to leave that little group. I got money from Projects Abroad to take the train and so I'm hoping I don't lose my monthly pass.
I won't be getting free lunch everyday, so that might make me a bit sad, but other than that, I'm enthusiastic and energized. The office is located in Wynberg, about halfway to the city from my house, so I'll be more in the middle of things and more able to access to possible interview subjects, etc.

Ah, relief.
Delicious dinner at an Italian restaurant and then warm, delicious, chocolate cake yesterday evening. Cape Town is a wonderful place to be today - the weather is bright, my mood is wildly optimistic and I've got potential adventure in the making.

Pictures below from the painting of the creche and then Table Mountain:

                                                            (before - inside the creche)
(before - outside the creche)

(me, priming)

(Mike, painting inside)

(the outside)

(the inside)

(volunteers who worked on the inside and helped with the flag painting)

(the beautiful outside painted in South African colors)

(street view in Vrygrond, Capricorn)

(my red handprint in above the yellow hand)

(all of the Dirty Weekend volunteers)

(the first set of ladders on the Skeleton Gorge route up Table Mountain)

(desperately needed food break)

(up we go!)

(and up)

(some plants, of course)

(no path, just rocks)




(hiking across the top of Table Mountain)



(hiking down Platteklip Gorge in a cloud)

(ryanne, lucy and paul)

(table mountain in a cloud)

(the view of the Cape Town city bowl)

(clouds over the mountain)

No comments:

Post a Comment