Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The adjustment has begun : end of week one

Today we all left work early and are going to the Waterfront to do a sunset champagne cruise (included in the R180.00 price is a single glass of champagne). I'm excited. It should go by Table Mountain and will be a nice photo opportunity.
Every Wednesday, Projects Abroad puts together a social activity for all of the volunteers so that we're able to come together and form friendships.
Coincidentally, there is a place called Chrome on Long Street where they have R1 shots every Wednesday night. (To figure out what one Rand is, divide a dollar by seven. You can see why everyone goes mad for the place.)
However, I do have a job to do and have been trying to get at least ten hours of sleep a night. It's been interesting; I think I actually might be getting too much sleep. I'm usually out by nine and then awake once or twice during the night and then actually coherent by six thirty or so, even though my alarm does not go off until 7:45. By that time, I've managed to fall asleep again and thus the alarm is not my favorite thing to hear.
The minibus for work comes around 8:25, after picking a Japanese kid up from Steenberg train station. From there, we go up to Rockhill Rd to get Mike, Phillip, Gry and Nick and then off to the other places to pick up other volunteers. I'm at work just before nine.
I honestly am not sure how I feel about my work placement, but more on that to come. I'm technically the job placement officer for the "Fit for Life, Fit for Work" program, although I'm feeling a little bit helpless. I realize that much of this adventure is going to be finding solutions, but I'm hesitant because I feel that the problem might be insurmountable based on the parameters that I've been given. I can't search further than walking distance, really, can't find jobs that work shifts, must find jobs for unskilled workers with no experience, and so on. I am going to have to really get creative. I am planning on going around to the business park, if you could even call it that, near the Vrygrond Community Center and pitching the program, pitching my applicants, and trying to build them a base from which they might draw employees.
Anyway, we'll see how the next week goes and then there might be some discussion about how I might be better suited to help the NGO in another capacity, or perhaps I might add on to my duties. I find that there's a lot of time that could be better spent.
Today I didn't do much at work since they were doing a computer skills class on the laptops in what is normally my space. Obviously, others use it too, but there are four of us generally based in one room and the classes are normally held in another. So today, I was in the classroom and they were in our room. I read through old newspapers trying to find job postings and talked to some people about possibly applying for them, but then I wandered down to the kitchen. While I was there, one of the cooks stuck her hand into the dishwater and pulled it out, her finger bloodied from a knife. While they were dealing with that, I stirred the caramelizing onions in a giant metal pot and then offered to do the dishes. As soon as I was done with dishes, Aaron, the business project coordinator from Projects Abroad came to see me and to see Cheryl, my boss. I told him that I was upset with the man who came yesterday to do my intake questionnaire and we had a discussion about that. I felt pressured to answer the questions in a certain way, and even when I did not answer them, or voiced a concern, the man would shove it off as though it wasn't going to be an issue. It wasn't a big deal, but at the same time, it bothered me that he would be so flippant about things as serious as housing and placement. So next week, I must go down to the Newlands office to re-do the questionnaire (although my answers will be exactly the same; it was the principle of the matter).
So that was how my morning was spent.
However, one thing I am quite enjoying about South Africa is tea time. They take tea at Etafeni every day at 10:30. Everyone gently teases me because I drink my tea without milk or sugar, they way it's customarily taken here. I'm so very happy that I brought a Nalgene with me, I fill it up every day with hot tea and then take it to work. I try to have the 1000mL (32oz) bottle drunk by 10:30 and then I fill it up again and try to have that finished by the end of the day. In this way, I have been able to stay hydrated. They drink black tea here, although it's not called black tea. Everyone looks a little bit offended when I tell them I'm drinking black tea. Apparently, it's forest tea. Either way, it's not green tea, which I'm finding that I miss a little bit.
Priscilla's granddaughter Emily Rose has been delighting me lately. She's almost three, but right now, she's "two like a bunny" and full of energy. She's a little shy at first, hesitant to see you, but after a little bit she warms right up. Her laugh fills me with joy. It's funny how hearing laughter can improve your day. She has this toothy laugh, during which she throws her head back, smiling. I love it. We've been playing sort of peek-a-boo and it seems to entertain her.
I put up my peace flags in my room! It brought a wonderful splash of color and made me so happy. Now, every time I look up I get to see all of them. I am so happy that I brought them as the personalization of a room is so very necessary to contented living.
Off to take the 3:08 train to head to town and then to cruise!!

No comments:

Post a Comment